Wednesday, March 2, 2011

P90X - Day 4 - Yoga rest day?

Day four was yoga.  Finally a day to relax a little and recover.  I know my wife used to do yoga a lot so I asked if she wanted to join me.  She agreed to do half of it since she wanted to get some other things done tonight.  I called her a weenie and then we started.  Last week I told her that P90X was 7 days a week of workouts.  I hadn't looked at the schedule closely there is actually a yoga day and a rest/stretch day.  During the beginning of yoga I looked over and told her that I was wrong about not having rest days.  I said "There is actually a yoga day and a rest or stretch day."  She replied with "So you're counting yoga as a rest day?"  I kind of shrugged and forgot about it.

As it turns out yoga isn't a rest day.  Holy crap some of that stuff is brutal!  It's not all stretching.  A lot of it was balancing and holding poses that made muscles burn that I didn't know I had.  The middle third was probably the hardest with some "warrior" poses and some interesting balancing poses.  The last third was a little easier, but it definitely had some difficult poses as well.  The last third had the most ab workout.  ugh. I couldn't hold those poses as long as I was supposed to.  Again, I guess that gives me something to work for.

I took another dose of whey protein mixed with some Gatorade tonight.  I feel like my muscles have been recovering faster since I upped my protein intake.  I'm pretty excited about that.  When recovery is slow workouts are harder and you have to take more days off.  I honestly thought that I would have to take every third day off during the first couple weeks of this program but so far I've been able to go hard every day.  (knock on wood)

Looking forward to tomorrow:  Legs & Back and Abs!

No comments: